These operations included supporting the attack on Libau in May 1915 and the Battle of the Gulf of Riga in August that year. Schwaben thereafter went into reserve. Though both of these proposals were rejected, the actual thickness of the armor plate was considerably reduced through the adoption of Krupp cemented armor, which had significantly greater protective value compared to early steel manufacturing processes. July 1915 : Several operations in the Baltic Sea. Apart revision on their belt, a part of Wittelsbach class battleships secondary artillery in turrets had been replaced by barbettes. , The five Wittelsbach class battleships were armored with Krupp steel. Ideal range was 6,890 m (7,530 yd).  Zähringen was converted into a radio-controlled target ship in 1926–27. Top speed: 17.5 knots Armor: Ammunition wells 254, belt 305, bridge 65, barbettes 305 mm Crew: 683 Armament: 4 guns of 280 (2×2), 18 of 150, 12 of 88 mm, 6 TLT 450 mm. Steering was controlled by a single large rudder.  The ships represented an incremental improvement over the preceding Kaiser Friedrich III class. The ships' armament was nearly identical to the preceding Kaiser Friedrich III class. The entire length of belt was backed by 100 mm of teak planking. Articles incorporating text from Wikipedia, http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_945-40_skc94.htm, http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_59-40_skc96.htm, "German 8.8 cm/30 (3.46") SK L/30 8.8 cm/30 (3.46") Ubts L/30", http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_88mm-30_skc97.htm, http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WTGER_PreWWII.htm, "Germany — Ammunition, Guns and Mountings Definitions", http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_projectiles.htm, List of ships of the Imperial German Navy, https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Wittelsbach-class_battleship?oldid=2622648, Pages using duplicate arguments in template calls, 5,000 nautical miles (9,000 km); 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph). They carried 650 metric tons (640 long tons) in their holds, but fuel capacity could be nearly tripled to 1,800 metric tons (1,772 long tons) with the usage of additional spaces in the ships. Her sisters were Wittelsbach, Wettin, Schwaben and Mecklenburg; they were the first capital ships built under the Navy Law of 1898, brought about by Admiral Alfred von Tirpitz. Lettris is a curious tetris-clone game where all the bricks have the same square shape but different content. The Secretary of the Reichsmarineamt (Imperial Navy Office), Vizeadmiral (VAdm—Vice Admiral) Friedrich von Hollmann struggled—ultimately successfully—throughout the early and mid-1890s to secure parliamentary approval for the first three K… By this time, manpower shortages began to affect the German fleet; combined with the increased threat of British submarines operating in the Baltic, the inability to man more important vessels convinced the naval command of the need to remove the Wittelsbachs from service. Schwaben, the slowest ship, reached 13,253 ihp (9,883 kW) for a top speed of only 16.9 knots (31.3 km/h; 19.4 mph). The machinery was symbolized by a 3-3-3 arrangement: Three shafts connected to three three-cylinder, triple expansion steam engines. She was named for the Battle of Wörth fought during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870–1871. , Further operations took place in September and October, which included IV Squadron covering the laying of defensive minefields in the western Baltic. They retained the weak main armament at a time when more powerful guns were standard in foreign equivalents. The Wittelsbach-class battleships were a group of five pre-dreadnought battleships of the Imperial German Navy. Jung, Dieter; Maass, Martin. , The five ships of the Wittelsbach class each had three three-cylinder triple expansion steam engines. The ships of the Wittelsbach class were similar in appearance to their predecessors of the Kaiser Friedrich III class, however, they had a flush main deck, as opposed to the lower quarterdeck of the Kaiser Friedrich class, and had a more extensive armor belt. With a SensagentBox, visitors to your site can access reliable information on over 5 million pages provided by Sensagent.com. These guns were supplied with between 170 and 250 shells per gun. Choose the design that fits your site. Named for the Emperor Charlemagne, Kaiser Karl der Grosse was built in Hamburg, at the Blohm and Voss shipyard. The four ships were broken up in 1921–1922. The secondary armament of the Wittelsbach class as said above was new and comprised eighteen 15 cm (5.9 inch) SK L/40 guns mounted in single turrets amidships or in superstructure casemates.  These weapons were 5.1 m (201 in) long and carried a 87.5 kg (193 lb) TNT warhead. Her sister ships were Braunschweig, Hessen, Preussen and Lothringen. 07.07.1915 : Transferred to Danzig. As a result, they were the last ships of that type built for the German Navy. Just three materials for the whole mesh. The primary armament consisted of a battery of four 24 cm (9.4 in) SK L/40 guns in twin-gun turrets,[a] one fore and one aft of the central superstructure. , The five Wittelsbach-class battleships were armored with Krupp cemented steel.  , Following the outbreak of World War I in July 1914, the five Wittelsbach-class ships were mobilized into IV Battle Squadron, under the command of Vice Admiral Ehrhard Schmidt. This provided a maximum range of 5,000 nautical miles (9,260 km; 5,754 mi) at a cruising speed of 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph). The superstructure was cut down extensively; her hull was subdivided, filled with cork, and sealed to improve its resistance to flooding. Most English definitions are provided by WordNet . She served in this role until December 1944: Anchored in Gdynia, she was bombed by the RAF and afterwards her hull scuttled by the Germans to block the port. ○ Lettris After the war ended, she was completely reconstructed as a radio-controlled target ship. They could be set at two speeds for different ranges. By late 1902 work on the ship was finished. The squadron returned to Kiel in November, where it was re-designated as the Reserve Division of the Baltic Sea. It was connected to the lower edge of the main armored belt, 225 mm (8.9 in) in the central citadel. , British submarines were becoming increasingly active in the Baltic by late 1915; several cruisers had been sunk and the elderly Wittelsbach-class ships could no longer be risked there. This was generally considered adequate an in line with contemporary designs like the British classes Formidable and London but still less than the French République or Russian Tsesarevich but their sloped connection were better overall. The SensagentBox are offered by sensAgent. The ships were commissioned into the German fleet between 1902 and 1904, where they joined the I Squadron of the battle fleet.